Courtesy of Dr. Campbell-McBride’s Gut & Psychology Syndrome book
For a healthy and nutritious alternative to standard bread try this…
Almond flour (2 1/2 cups)
Softened butter or coconut oil, goose fat, chicken fat, duck fat, or homemade yogurt or creme fraiche, plus a little extra to grease the pan (1/4 cup )
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Grease a loaf pan or cookie sheet. Mix the almond flour, eggs, and fat in a bowl. Press the mixture into the greased loaf pan — or mold into a loaf shape on a cookie sheet.
3. Bake for about an hour. Test for doneness by inserting a clean butter knife — it will come out clean when it’s ready.
4. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes before using a butter knife to remove it from the pan.
You can also make different kinds of loaves by adding various ingredients. You could add a cheese or olives and rosemary or you could add some dates or honey to make it sweet. You can use it for pizza dough as well, and for muffins. You can also make multiple loaves and freeze them.
B + B’s serving suggestion: with fresh organic goat’s cheese and figs, yummy!
Gluten free, Low GI, Organic, Paleo
Skill level Easy
• 2 organic oranges, washed
• 100g xylitol or coconut sugar (traditional recipes contain 250g, if you have a sweet tooth you can use up to 150g)
• 6 organic free range eggs
• 250 g almond meal (chemical free almonds if possible)
• 1 heaped tsp gluten free baking powder
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml.| All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Step 1 Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Wash the oranges and cook in the boiling water for 2 hours. Drain, allow to cool to room temperature, slice in half and remove any obvious pips and stalks. Puree whole fruit including skins. This step can be done ahead of time.
Step 2 Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 22 cm spring form cake tin with baking paper or alternatively for lunch box friendly version line standard muffin tin (12 patties) with muffin cases. Beat the eggs and xylitol until well combined. Stir in the orange puree followed by the almond meal and baking powder. Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake the cake for 1-1¼ hours or if baking in the muffin tin check after 25 mins, until the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
Allow to cool in the tin. For the cake version cut into slices and serve with or without a dollop of organic cream. Cake slices and muffins freeze well and are excellent lunch box treats.
If you want to understand more about the exquisite golden ambrosia (a type of clarified butter: both fantastic in its cooking properties and highly respected in Ayurvedic medicine) then go to this great blog article learn more about it and easy steps to make it so you always have it in stock at home.
For some great education on check out the Weston A Price Foundation.